Fountain Maintenance - Set Up
Many fountains will come with set up instructions, or the retailer will have specific instructions available. There are a few general guidelines to follow for all fountain set ups.
- Ensure all pieces of the fountain are present before the set up begins
- Create a level surface for the fountain to be set up on, usually aggregate or concrete
- Test the pump in water before assembling the fountain
- Plugs may need to be silicone for proper sealing.
- Use small shims to level the tiers of the fountain if required
- Ensure no tubing is kinked during the time of set up
- Be sure that the plug and receptacle are not exposed to any water, including potential splash from the fountain.
Fountain Maintenance - Day to Day Care
Fountains will need to be topped off with water to ensure the pump remains totally submerged at all times. This is especially important in windy areas or if the fountain has high levels of splash.
The pump must remain debris free. Often leaves and sediment can build up depending on the location of the fountain.
Algaecides (fountain maintenance) may be used and are available in store for water quality maintenance. Do not use bleach as this will affect the stain on most fountains.[clear]
Fountain Maintenance - Winter Care
Fountains are a sight to behold in the summer months. Come winter, most people fear cracking or cover with them with large blue tarps that stand out like a sore thumb. We have a few suggestions that will help your fountain keep its splendour all year round!
Before winter or first frost, fountains should be raised off of the ground surface with risers to prevent it from soaking up moisture and freezing, which could cause crumbling on the bottom of the piece.
Remove all pumps, plugs, and small components from the fountain and store indoors. All water must be drained from the fountain. Ensure water does not accumulate in the basin or any bowl and freeze, as this may cause cracking. Campania covers may be used once the fountain is cleaned and free of water, as they are one way breathable (allow trapped moisture out, but rain and dust cannot enter) and come in a neutral tone that blends into any landscape. If the piece permits, it may be stored indoors.
SALT & CHEMICAL:
Ensure your fountain is kept clear from harsh salts and chemicals, as these may damage the stains and/or concrete.[clear]